Our mental health first aiders provide reassurance and help guide people who are struggling with their mental health to the support that they need. They also have the skills to be able to spot someone who may be developing a mental health issue and intervene before it escalates. Mental health first aiders aren't counsellors and can't diagnose conditions or provide ongoing support.
If you'd like to get involved, you can get free training which provides you with the skills to:
- understand the important factors affecting mental ill health
- identify the signs and symptoms of a range of mental health conditions
- use a 5-step action plan to provide mental health first aid to someone experiencing a mental health issue or crisis
- listen non-judgmentally and hold supportive conversations using the mental health first aid action plan
- signpost people to professional help, recognising that the role as a mental health first aider does not replace the need for ongoing support
You can find details of our upcoming mental health training courses.
You'll need your manager's approval to sign up and offer support.