Skip to content

University and College Union (UCU)

The University and College Union (UCU) is the locally recognised trade union representing Derbyshire County Council adult community education staff including tutors, tutor development workers, programme and area managers.

Pay and conditions are negotiated with elected Derbyshire County Council members through the Further Education Joint Negotiating Committee (FEJNC).

UCU is the largest union in the country representing tutors, lecturers and other professional staff in post 16 education, with more than 120,000 members. The union offers a wide range of services and a strong voice for staff at local and national level.

UCU has been involved in negotiating new and improved tutor contracts in Derbyshire. Members are organised in the Derbyshire Adult Community Education Service through a local branch. The branch welcomes new members.

Benefits of membership:

  • improved pay and conditions
  • representation and support for case work
  • a range of financial services at good prices like insurance
  • a chance to discuss issues with fellow members
  • legal advice and representation
  • a 'voice' at local and national levels
  • tax deductible membership fee
  • regular meetings with senior management
  • consultation with key agencies at local and regional level
  • union training programme

What we're seeking:

  • more full-time and proper fractional tutor posts
  • pay parity with FE and school teachers
  • better staff and career development opportunities
  • re-grading of staff
  • equal opportunities

How to join

UCU DACES branch want to try and recruit more tutors, especially with the new tutor contracts and arrangements for teacher training and CPD coming in.

You can join UCU online, or by contacting one of the branch officers or area representatives. Subscription rates are based on income, so part time tutors pay much lower rates.

Further details are also available from Paul Surtees, membership secretary, at Hunloke ACE Centre, Chesterfield, email: or tel: 01246 201687.