This guidance helps to make sure you're keeping your computer safe and secure from viruses, malicious software or inappropriate use.
Follow this guidance to make sure they're secure:
- never save sensitive and personal data on the PCs hard drive - if your usual network folders are unavailable contact the transformation service help desk ext: 37777 for advice
- lock computers and screens when away from your working area
- never use unauthorised equipment on council computers
- never let software be installed on PCs by unauthorised staff
- never download anything from the internet onto your computer - this can introduce viruses that make it easier for hackers to get hold of information
- log off your PC and shut it down when not in use for long periods of time
- confidential information must only be saved to storage devices like USBs, external hard drives, CDs and DVDs that are correctly encrypted
Disposal of ICT equipment
The secure disposal of data residing on hard drives and other media is essential to enabling us to comply with our obligations under the Data Protection Act 2018 and approved information security policies and procedures.
If your department identifies any ICT equipment as being surplus to requirements then you need to complete an equipment disposal form, which is attached to this page. The form will then need to be attached to a service request using Service Desk Online.
The procedures for the secure destruction of optical and magnetic media are also attached to this page.